CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 18, 2013

Comparing and contrasting and assessments and Friday Fun

Today in 1st grade we started to talk about comparing and contrasting. I decided to introduce the Venn diagram to compare Snowmen at Night and Snowmen All Year. We have practiced one once during reading but I made it and the students had to help me fill it in. This time they were in charge of coming up with ideas and recording them. Some of them did pretty well and a few needed some reminders.

Our snow globes are officially hung up and our symmetry butterflies are up on the bulletin board. I think they turned out pretty fantastic. I was so excited to do those projects. In math we had our chapter 5 test today. I was happy when I saw my lowest score was a 88%. I've been working pretty hard at reviewing concepts with them during centers for the past two days and they've been really good learners these past few weeks.
Next week we are starting to review addition and subtraction strategies. We need some much needed practice in subtraction.
We have next Monday off for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, so we focused on trying to talk about Martin Luther King Jr. with our first graders. When we first started introducing him to the students, two of them thought he was a president. I can officially say they all know who he is and can tell you he was, "black, a pastor and helped make the world better for people and that he died"... in the words of one of my kiddos.

We officially earned our last row of compliments and so did super k so next Friday we will be having our celebration party. The other teachers and I decided to have a movie party. In the sanctuary we will be using their projector and the big screen to watch a movie at the end of the day. We also played our official Friday song and played trick the janitor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment