CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 10, 2013

First attempt at blogging and library day

     This is my first attempt at blogging. I figured since it's my first year teaching I would attempt to document my adventures in teaching. I teach first grade at a private school in Kirkland, Washington. I co-teach with another wonderful teacher, Ms. Manetta. It is both our first year having our own official classroom so we are both learning. I am also relatively new to Washington. I moved here at the end of August from Michigan. So I've been learning all the things that are different in this wonderful state. From licensing requirements, state standards to the weather... each day is a learning experience for me.

      Today was library day in my classroom which means, we all walk down the street to the Kirkland Public Library. It's quite the ordeal. We all put on our rain boots and rain jackets and tie our hoods on tight. On the way my co-teacher, Ms. Manetta, and I hop, skip and gallop with the kids all the way to library. Sometimes we get the occasional nice bus driver to honk and wave at us, this of course delights the kids.

    Once we reach the library the students know the drill. They always go to the same corner and either Manetta or I read them a story while one of us goes to check the students' library cards for overdue books. After story time the students get to pick out two books. We've been stressing the Five Finger Rule in our classroom. So the students have to test the book before they are allowed to check it out.
     The American Girl books are really popular among the girls in my class, so I slowly guide them to that shelf every two weeks. This week I was successful in persuading two girls to check them out since they have read through my small collection of American Girl books. Caroline is the new favorite American Girl since we recently got the Meet Caroline book added to our classroom library. I was sad when I realized Scholastic doesn't sell them very often. Does anyone know a good place to buy used ones cheaply? I've checked Amazon and local library book sales.

      Another eventful part of our day was indoor recess. It's rainy season here in Washington now so these indoor recesses are slowly becoming a re-occuring thing. I've been slowly trying to add to our toy shelf for days like today. I recently purchased a few Hot Wheels cars, Polly Pocket Fashion Dolls and the game Headbanz.    Today Headbanz was the hot commodity. It's so amusing to watch them all play. From across the room I can hear their giggles as some one guesses wrong. I'm so glad they like the game because when I first bought it and introduced it to them they all stared at me with blank expressions and then said they wanted to play something else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment