CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 11, 2013

Reading Buddies... Kadinsky and a little bit of MLK Jr.

The whole class was glad it was Friday today, including myself. We finished our official first full week back after Christmas break. Today I had the students write to the prompt, "My teachers would appreciate it if..." as I walked around the room I had to laugh because most of them had the hardest time coming up with simple things such as: "I clean up after myself after art and lunch" or "not talk when they are talking." Some of them insisted on giving us things like chocolate and coffee. I will try to post some of them next week.

This week we worked on some neat projects. We finished studying the artist Kandinsky and made these very abstract looking trees. Ms. Manetta's mom came in to help us add glitter to them. A few days later...we are still finding glitter all of the classroom.

Something else rather neat we worked on was our Martin Luther King Jr. timelines. Each of my eight students were given 3 different events and they had to illustrate the event. My favorite one is MLK being born, it makes me wonder what they are thinking when they draw.
We started buddy reading with the kindergarteners today. I can pleasantly report that there were no big issues with it. Two of my first graders even had two buddies and they managed wonderfully. The other teachers and I decided the buddies worked so well that we are going to do it every Friday instead of every other.

One other fun tidbit of our Friday afternoon was when I introduced the kids to Rebecca Black's Friday song...you know the slightly irritating song that says "It's Friday...Friday..." The kids seemed to like it and Manetta introduced them to the game "Let's Make the Janitor Think We Were Never Here" which in reality means clean up, but they loved it. I had never seen the room and desks look so clean before. This may become a Friday ritual in our room.

0 comments:

Post a Comment