CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 25, 2013

An Exciting Day in the First Grade Today

Today was a fantastic day in our classroom! We started off our day with our reading groups and then the excitement began with math. For math today, I planned a fraction egg scavenger hunt. Each student had to find two easter eggs out on the playground. After finding two eggs the students then had to return to the picnic table to wait for the rest of the class. Once all the students found two eggs they then had to take their "treats" out of the eggs and set their halves on the table. They then had to match their fraction to someone elses' half that had the correct picture drawn on it. I think it went really well.

After our scavenger hunt we came back up to our classroom to try out a Fraction Scoot Game. This was our first time doing a Scoot activity before and I was so proud of my students. They handed the transitions very well and actually are becoming little fraction masters. I think they are all going to kick our fraction test's butt tomorrow! My TPT store is slowly getting more traffic too so I'm pretty excited. I just added a new product! 2-digit subtraction Monster Scoot!

 Another exciting moment of our day was when the Mayor of Kirkland arrived. She pleasantly suprised Ms. Manetta and me by being very friendly and down to Earth. She even sat on the floor with the kids. She joked with us and told funny stories. She even taught me a couple things. For example, I didn't know Mayor's have javels. It was exciting for me to see the students making text to world connections. Last week we read two books on mayors. One of which was My Grandma is the Mayor. We learned that the mayor really does get to use giant scissors to cut ribbons and she gets to be in parades.

0 comments:

Post a Comment